Miami Art Week 2019 at The Betsy
The Betsy - South Beach is recognized in the global arts hotel space as a property dedicated to award-winning photography, featuring works by leading world artists, in partnership with major galleries. The Betsy’s 2019 line up in homage to Miami Art Week is breathtaking. Curated by co-owner Lesley Goldwasser, there are nine shows in 20,000 square feet of gallery space including projections onto The Betsy’s Orb, located in the breezeway adjacent to the Betsy, between Collins Avenue and Ocean Drive.
- Andy Sweet (1953-1982) – The Betsy’s Lobby Salon show includes images featured in the award-winning documentary called The Last Resort. Sweet immortalized the life of Holocaust survivors on Miami Beach in the 1970’s and 80’s, recalling an era that has vanished, with memories that endure forever. In addition to over 20 works in the Lobby salon, two permanent super-size images have been placed in one of the hotel elevators. *Artist rep is Ed Christin.
- Iké Udé (1962) –The Betsy’s Gallery Show features photographic portraits from the Sartorial Anarchy Collection exploring issues of representation and sexual, gender, cultural, and stylistic identity by Iké Udé, a Nigerian-American photographer, and performance artist. The show includes a new portrait of Turkish craftsman, Sevan Biçakçi another Betsy exhibiting artist whose wearable art will be featured adjacent to the portrait. *Artist rep is Heller Gallery.
- Michael Halsband (1956) – The Betsy’s Carlton Room Show celebrates the work of one of the world most significant portrait artists, Michael Halsband with these major historical figures featured in the images: Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Francesco Clemente, Robert Mapplethorpe, Michael Heizer, David Hockney, William Wegman, John Chamberlain, Louise Nevelson, Keith Herring, and more.
- Sevan Biçakçi (1972) —The Betsy celebrates Sevan Biçakçi’s return to Miami Beach (having collaborated on ABMB 2015 as well). Events include the big reveal of a portrait by Iké Udé, as well as placement of Sevan’s one-of-a-kind wearable Byzantine and Ottoman style jewelry works of art in two gallery areas across the property.
- Pete Turner (1934-2017) – The Betsy’s Board Room Show includes images from a collection called The Color of Jazz. Turner was one of the early pioneers in color photography whose work graced the record covers of a ‘whos-who’ of classical jazz. Original Turner art works are exhibited side by side with historic record covers. *Turner’s work is exhibited with permission of his estate.
- Andrew Kaufman – The Betsy LT Steak and Seafood Show features A Rare Glimpse into the Life of the Champ. This Kaufman-curated collection includes images by by Neil Leifer, Carl Fischer, and Larry Spitzer featuring extraordinarily intimate, intense, and simply stunning moments in history.
The Betsy Hotel’s Property-wide opening is December 6 at 9 pm, with Obama Inaugural Poet and Miami's favorite son Richard Blanco as the featured presenter. The Betsy Orb Projections will bring the hotel’s inside exhibitions outside, between 8 and 11 pm, December 5, 6, and 7, 2019. Visiting artists Iké Udé, Michael Halsband, Sevan Biçakçi, and Andrew Kaufman will be in residence at The Betsy during Art Basel Miami Beach and will participate in salons and artist conversations at 2 pm each day.
Art Week VIP Package
Stay two nights or more at Miami's premier Arts Hotel during Miami Art Week and receive 15% off, a VIP Tour of The Betsy’s nine gallery installations and an exclusive invitation to our private Art Week Owner's Reception with an opportunity to meet one of our exhibiting artists. As a special gift, you also receive a Betsy book bag and a choice of two books to take home with you: On Color by David Scott Kastan or Bob Bonis: The Lost Archives (The Beatles or The Rolling Stones).